There has been much discussion about boaters safety especially Personal Watercraft AKA Wave Runners or Jet Skis. We want everyone to enjoy our beautiful lake in a safe way. Many people don't know the Michigan Marine laws and it is our hope that everyone with a marine vessel will cover them with anyone that operates one.
It is a good idea to know the Michigan laws and cover them with whomever is on your personal watercraft. YOU are responsible for your property.
A few highlights:
1. SLOW NO WAKE means no wake within 100 feet of shoreline, any watercraft, pier, person, raft, swimming area, and swimmers.
2.SLOW NO WAKE zone means operating at a very slow speed in order to minimize the wake created by your vessel.
3. No water skiing between one hour after sunset and one hour prior to sunrise.
4. Children under 12 must be under the direct supervision of a person 16 years of age or older.
5. As of October 1, 2011 a person of less than 14 years of age may not legally operate a personal watercraft under any circumstances.
6. A person who was born after December 31, 1978 shall not operate a personal watercraft on Michigan waters unless they have obtained a boating safety certificate.
7. The distance from a scuba diver should be 200 feet of a buoyed diver's flag unless it is involved in tendering the diving operation. A person diving shall stay within a surface area of a diver's flag....yes, we have at least one regular diver.
For a full list of the Michigan Marine laws please click on the link below.